Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP) is a managment protocol that allows routers
and switches to tell each other about their IOS version, hardware platform,
and basic config info. Some security experts say to disable it because it
tells too much.

It has nothing to do with bringing the serial interface up/up. You could use
it or you could not. The two routers on the HDLC link don't have to agree.
One could send CDP while the other doesn't and the link should still come
up/up, assuming everything is OK at the physical and data-link layers.

It's too bad they used "no cdp enable" in that simple example with no
explanation. I don't think it's the default? So someone had to type it in,
so they should have explained it.

Priscilla

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk317/technologies_configuration_examp