Citrusdb is not content management system for a customer facing
website all by itself, though it does have a small component you can
use that provides customers a view of their account.  Most of citrusdb
is for internal usage by customer service representatives and billing
to manage customers and their information.

You can host citrusdb in any LAMP server, though a server on your LAN
is usually best.  It does store potentially sensitive customer data
that should be hosted in a way that meets your organisations security
policies regarding the storage of customer information.

Paul

2011/7/15 Mark E. Skeels <meske...@gmail.com>:
> Hi, all.
>
> I joined this list because the features of CitrusDB look good for what I
> would like to do with a website.
>
> I am not a website developer, but I am technically minded. I am probably in
> way over my head, but here goes.....I want to start a small service oriented
> business. I want my customers to be able to "log in" to my website and get
> status info on their repairs, including projected completion of repair,
> cost, invoices, and maybe other stuff. I want to do it really cheap.
>
> My questions:
>
> I understand that CitrusDB is not a website, but how do the forms/data/input
> screens/etc get integrated/show up on a website?
> Exactly what IS CitrusDB? Think really basic here.....I mean, does it create
> a website from a kind of template? Does it integrate into a website? How
> does it "show up?" Is it a complete "solution" or is it integrated somehow?
> Can an end user secure a website from any provider with the necessary stuff
> (mySQL, PHP, etc) and install CitrusDB him/herself?
> Do you have to ask the provider to do this, or is it customary to just get
> the provider service established and then do it?
> Can I install and configure this myself? Or is this something I have to have
> done by the website provider?
>
> I scanned the manual on CitrusDB; what I really need is a kind of general
> overview of how this all fits into a website and the general steps needed to
> get it up and running, something like..........
>
> Obtain Web provider
> Obtain domain name
> Design and implement website
> Install CitrusDB
> Configure CitrusDB
> GO (?)
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> That's enough questions for now..............we'll see what kind of answers
> I get.
>
> --
> "If your creed and Scripture do not agree,
> cut your creed to pieces,
> but make it agree with this book."
> ~Charles Spurgeon~

The CitrusDB Project | http://www.citrusdb.org
Open Source Customer Care & Billing System