Hei igjen!

> I've tried again to put some pages up from Bjorn Aksdal's book:
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.walsh
>
> (for some reaon this only works in Internet Explorer)
>
> And pages 4 and 5 list sistere (?) of Norwegian makers. If you are talking
> about Amund Hansen Halden then, according to
> aksdal, there are instruments made as late as 1806. The reference for
> location is 'HaMi'. (I forgot to photocopy the  key to locations!)

Your norwegian plural form of sister is absolutely correct!

Last night I was able to read all the pages on the sister from Aksdal's
book but today it doesn't work... Anyway, it said that the earliest
instruments by Amund Hansen resembled the cithrinchen, but that he later
developed a pearshaped variant which he called "sitrenke". This instrument
was copied by other norwegian intrument makers, so there was clearly a
distinct norwegian cittern tradition around 1800!

"HaMi" should mean "Haldens Minder", which is the name of Halden's
museum organisation.

> > I don't know anybody who has revived the norwegian sister, but I would
> > love to be the first!
> >

> There has to be some surviving, idiomatic music, don't you think, to
> make it worthwhile reviving the instrument? It would be great to hear
> some 18th century Norwegian sister music!

Aksdal also mentions a manuscript with instructions and pieces in french
tabulature, so there is more to explore!

I have also read the article on the cithrinchen in Grove Music Online:

http://www.grovemusic.com/shared/views/article.html?section=music.05827

The article, written by James Tyler, mentions that the bell shaped design
became particularly popular in Scandinavia, and that a swedish manuscript
calls for at six course instrument called "cittringen". So it seems like
we can conclude that the cithrinchen was played and developed further in
Scandinavia throughout the 18th century and into the 19th century.

I am so grateful for the interent...

mvh
Are