Martina Rosenberger wrote:
> Dear all,
> Eventually I could reach Pedro to speak for himself:
>
> Dear Martina,
>
> Thank you so much for your mails.
> I have been too busy lately to reply or come into this somehow useless
> discussion.

I wonder why Pedro says this is a useless discussion. And what is the
discussion? A general history of the cittern going back to medieval
times (a controversial enough project) or evidence of a uniquely
Portuguese tradition of cittern playing - or something else?
> I really admire your efforts , together with such respected authorities
> (  towards whom I feel indebted and grateful) as , Peter Forrester ,
> Ron Fernandez and a very few others, to bring to ligth some pieces of
> the puzzle that become the history (I am referring to facts) of the
> european cittern (I use this term in a precise sense, please see
> definition).

These definitions (at the end of this posting) are surely very
controversial. Some people, like Doc Rossi, (and sorry if I'm
misinterpreting  Doc) think that the English  guitar (or in Pedro's
amusingly contemptuous expression "english" Guittar) just is a kind of
cittern. Pedro says (at the bottom of this posting) about citterns,
according to his definition:

..The general type in the best models was  of light construction  (as in
Virchi's instruments, followed by folk versions in Portugal, Germany and Swiss)
and very good resonance and power... (Pedro)

The 'best' models? What are the standards being invoked here? And comparing
Virchi's citterns with 19th century folk instruments seems to be mixing very,
very different things. Isn't it odd to think that Virchi's instruments have
more in common with instruments from four centuries later than citterns of the
sixteenth century? Anyway, "english" Guittars (and instruments like them all
over Europe - in France, the Low Countries, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Poland and
Portugal)) are lightly constructed too - after all they're played with the
fingertips not with a plectrum - unlike Virchi's citterns and the 19th century
folk citterns. Also some "english" Guittars (and French 'cythres') - have fewer
than four bars (if Pedro means bars on the soundboard).

Tunings for the Renaissance cittern seem to gravitate around a,d,g,e or b,g,d,e
(or octaves) with a variety of lower basses on instruments with more than four
courses. Isn't the tuning of the modern Portuguese guitar: d,a, b,e,a,b? (I
haven't indicated octaves)and that's not, to quote from Pedro, bottom of this
posting):

..The tuning (since the 15th century, on a 4 course instrument) starts
(from top to bottom) with a major second, a fifth, and another second,
forming an quart to the first, exactly the same basic tune as the
actual P.Guitarra... (Pedro)

Pedro says some other questionable things about the "english" Guittar.

a)I quote:

..The "english" Guittar as an open tuning in C or less often in G based in
intervals of thirds.... (Pedro)

In the 18th century there were two main tunings for these chordal instruments
- in C and in A. The G-tuning was extremely rare, the A-tuning very common.

b)I quote:

..This type of tuning is first mentioned by Juan Bermudo, applied to a seven
course vihuela... (Pedro)

I've heard this idea that the c,e,g,c,e,g tuning was first mentioned by Bermudo
 a few times now. I contacted Antonia Corona Alcade who wrote an article in
1984 which might have been the source of this. Anyway Antonia now thinks:

"Bermudo indeed proposes such a tuning, but we should be very wary of what he
says regarding innovations, since
he was very prone to put forward his own ideas and inventions, which have been
many times misunderstood as
reflecting actual practice." and:

"Since this is but a proposal by Bermudo, there is no extant music for it, at
least to my knowledge, and I
doubt very much it was ever used in actual practice." (Antonio Corona Alcade)

And even if it were true it would be a vihuela tuning, not a cittern tuning.

c)I quote:

..This is the same tuning of the 6 course German Zither of Majer whose
music was published in 1650...(Pedro)

Isn't the Majer tuning in D (not C, nor A nor G) and NOT d,f#,a but some other
inversion? And with no corroboration elsewhere?

Pedro does cite evidence of the cittern in Portugal. He says, after quoting
bits and pieces from different time periods:

..but I think this is enough to credit my opinion on the presence of citterns
in Portugal long before the invention of the "english" instrument... (Pedro)

For a start, I'm sure the invention of the "english" instrument (execrable
abomination that it is) is German, if the chordal C-tuning is a defining
characteristic. But the point Pedro must struggle with is the amount of
evidence for the use of the cittern in Portugal compared to other countries.
Clearly the cittern _flourished_ in Italy and England and France and the Low
Countries at different times in the 16/17th centuries. I don't think we have
evidence that the cittern so flourished in Portugal.