Damien, I'm sure other people will disagree with me, so I'll send this to the cittern list! (also: the 'crwth' is a bowed instrument, not plucked)

Damien Delgrossi wrote:

I am suprised to read you saying that UK doesn't have plucked instruments traditions. What about banjos? and pictures showing popular mandolin played by folk performers long long time ago? Are you sure of what you said?

Stuart wrote:
I think so. In the 1950s, some folk singers used pianos as accompaniment! The guitar - as an accompaniment to folk songs - is from the 1960s. The traditional folk songs collected from the 19th century were all sung unaccompanied. The only genuine folk string instrument (apart from fiddles) is the hammered dulcimer.

Banjos, guitars and mandolins have been around in Britain since the late 19th century. But not playing traditional folk music. They played popular tunes and popular 'folk' tunes (only a distant relation to traditional folk music) and bits of classical music.

Nowadays, many folk players players play modern citterns, flat-backed bouzoukis, mandolins and mandolas etc. But this is all from the 1960s and 1970s.

There are no plucked instruments in traditional Irish music either (before the last few decades).

Stuart

Good morning Stuart,

It is very interesting what you wrote. I understand well the difference you do between folk popular tune and traditional music. People often don't do the same and think that popular tune are always traditional. You're right when you say that is not.

So the only plucked instrument traditional is the medieval crwth from Wales in the 9th century?

Regards,

Damien