Frank Nordberg wrote:
Andrew Rutherford wrote:
> The tuning is GCEGBE.  Is that right for that time?

It's not *exactly* that tuning but a late 18th C. Norwegian cittern manuscript, known as the Edvard Storm Ms., gives a tuning with the same intervals, only one step lower:
f bb d' f' a' d''

Although Storm was Norwegian, he lived in Copenhagen at the time he wrote the manuscript and it seems to have been more influenced by Danish and/or German traditions than Norwegian ones so he was proably using some continental tuning. However, no other reference to anything similar has been discovered until now.
Very interesting Frank. I remember you referring to the Peter Bang MS, which turned out to be for a viol rather than a cittern. (By the way, did that MS have a date?) I thought that the Bang MS was the only potential source of 18th century cittern music in Norway.

So this Edvard Storm MS is not using a major key, chordal tuning as in many parts of Europe. It's a cithrinchen (Bell cittern tuning) down a tone?

Is the music in tablature?

Is it the tuning of all those Amund Hansen, ten-peg citterns from about 1780?

Stuart

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com
http://stores.ebay.com/Nordbergs-Music-Store?refid=store