Andrew Hartig wrote:
Dear all,

Some time back Andy Rutherford had told us about a manuscript book (BMB4) in the Moravian Archives of Bethlehem, PA (USA) for 6-course cittern, tuned GCEgbe. Andy managed to get over there to take some photos, and after quite a few emails with the folks at the Moravian Archives, I am pleased to announce that Andy's photographs of the book are now available for public download from my web site.

I have compiled all of his photos into a single PDF (25 MB). You can get to it from the "Music Files" page of the Renaissance Cittern Site, http://cittern.theaterofmusic.com/musicfiles/ (scroll down to the "box" for 18th century music), where perhaps you may also find something else of interest.

Special thanks again to Lanie Graf and all the other fine people of the Moravian Archives and Andy Rutherford for working together to make this possible!

-Andrew

Very interesting and a great resource. Thanks Andrew. There's lots to ponder. For example the funny little 11 sign, which is perhaps an ornament. And these settings include the tune, as sung?

The chorale settings seem (after a quick look) quite full, with voice leading etc. No 40 sounds vaguely familiar. Here's a quick recording on a factory-made Russian guitar, but in the GCEgbe tuning. A lot of the pieces are in C major, even though the tuning isn't fully chordal.

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/No40.mp3

And here's one of the little dance tunes at the end (with a rather glaring mistake in the repeat of the second strain!):

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/Men3.mp3

I think it was Rob who said that James Tyler claimed that the English guitar (guittar) has its origins in Germany. I haven't seen his (Tyler's) Evora paper. I looked at a link to the Evora papers but it was dead. Anyway, I think Germany is a likely contender for what got makers in Britain going in the 1750s. But the cittern in Germany itself seems not to have got involved in the 'guittar' fashion. And the music that exists (as far as I know) is in 'old-fashioned' tablature. Boetticher (if I've spelt his name correctly) mentions some four-course music c.1750s and there's the Bunsold tablature and now this.

Stuart