Andrew Hartig wrote:
Dear all,

Some time back Andy Rutherford had told us about a manuscript book (BMB4) in the Moravian Archives of Bethlehem, PA (USA) for 6-course cittern, tuned GCEgbe. Andy managed to get over there to take some photos, and after quite a few emails with the folks at the Moravian Archives, I am pleased to announce that Andy's photographs of the book are now available for public download from my web site.

I have compiled all of his photos into a single PDF (25 MB). You can get to it from the "Music Files" page of the Renaissance Cittern Site, http://cittern.theaterofmusic.com/musicfiles/ (scroll down to the "box" for 18th century music), where perhaps you may also find something else of interest.

Special thanks again to Lanie Graf and all the other fine people of the Moravian Archives and Andy Rutherford for working together to make this possible!

-Andrew

I'm playing through the pieces, in the right tuning, but on a guitar. I've got used to the tuning a bit more and I'm not pausing on the fermata, so the line of the music is clearer (for me). At first I thought that the music might be accompaniments but they're clearly hymn tunes (apart from the minuets and polonaises at the end). A lot of them sound almost familiar (but I haven't heard any hymns in decades), some sound like carols and number 23 is 'In dulci jubilo'. They're interesting to play - though you wouldn't want to play many at a time, unless for devotional purposes. Presumably the player sang along?

I wonder if the MS is the work of a person producing arrangements for his/her own interest or if the cittern could have been used for a small number of people to sing along with?

I'm sure I've seen images from (roughly) the time of rather severe looking people playing citterns and it's interesting to speculate whether this was music they might have played.

Stuart