Andrew Rutherford wrote:
Here's the quote from Hintz, from the Public Advertiser, Mar 17, 1766:

"that he has, after many Years Study and Application in endeavouring to bring this favourite Instrument the Guittar (being the first Inventor) still to a greater perfection in regard to tuning and keeping the same in Tune, which has always been a principal Defect as well as inconvenient, has now found out, on a Principal entirely new, several Methods, whereby it is much easier and exacter tuned, and also remains much longer in Tune than by any Method hitherto known."^53 I fished this out of Lanie Graf's article. He's talking about his new tuning machine but doesn't explain how it works. ( People have noted that 1766 seems rather late to be inventing a tuning machine for the guittar; that Preston had already been there. Do we know that for certain?)

Anyway, he throws in parenthetically that he was "it's first inventor"

It's interesting that ' a principal defect' is that it's hard to get (and keep) these things (EGs) in tune. I'd certainly agree! Some instruction books just offer a tuning fork method (and go on to say that nothing could be easier). Your quote suggests that keeping EGs in tune is a problem too whereas it's usually trotted out that wire-strung instruments easily keep their tuning. (I think this is partly true only.)

Why would 1766 be late for a tuning machine? The EG was new in the 1750s. Tuning mechanisms are a completely new invention. It's a generalisation but weren't all plucked instruments tuned by pegs until the EG (emerging in the 1750s)?

Stuart