Good afternoon from Greg Bennett
I an venturing into graphics in cl undet linix.
Specifically I am running ccl 64-bit under Ubuntu 10.04 using emacs+slime as
an interface; but my lisp experience is from Allegro under Windows. Perhaps
it is not surprising that I am (slightly) baffled by some of the set-up activities.

I downloaded cl-opengl and read the .asd files for it, and for glu, glut, glut-examples too. I saw that all depended on cffi, so I used Ubuntu's apt-get install to do just that - fetch and install cffi - which went smoothly. It took me a while to find out where it was located (!)
so I could fix up asdf:*central-registry* with a path to cffi.asd

[Off-topic: is there an easy way to find where packages are installed ? The poking about I have done has yielded noting useful. Should I have 'known' cl-cffi would wind up in
/usr/share/common-lisp/systems ?]

Having twiddled the registry, I used (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cffi) which started cheerfully but then stopped with an simple-file error. For all the .lisp files in, for example,
 /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/source/alexandria
are owned by root. It was in trying to process alexandria.lisp that things halted.

I am the sole user of the linux box, but it seems that I need a way to tell ccl that it should run
as root.

If I am to build cl-opengl I have to get past this block, so I hope that someone can provide a magic
incantation or two.

Thanks for all assistance and advice
Cheers /Greg Bennett