2004-07-27T00:09:37 Stephen Gran:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:47:57PM +0000, Bennett Todd said:
> > First annoyance was that it took some pounding with a club to
> > convince this release to statically link.
>
> Can't help you there, it compiles and liks fine here.

Compiles and links fine here --- but there's no way I can find to
convince the build process to produce _static_ executable, aside
from:

    make
    (cd clamd;gcc -Os -s -o clamd ... -static)
    (cd sigtool;gcc -Os -s -o sigtool ... -static)
    (cd clamdscan;gcc -Os -s -o clamdscan ... -static)
    (cd freshclam;gcc -Os -s -o freshclam ... -static)
    (cd clamscan;gcc -Os -s -o clamscan ... -static)

where the "..." was constructed by running make and cut-n-pasting
the lines libtool generated.

LDFLAGS=-static isn't honored, --disable-shared doesn't do it, even
CC='gcc -static' doesn't take. I've seen this before; seems to be
the price of doing libtool.

> > When I tried using the example clamav.conf's default LocalSocket
> > /tmp/clamd, clamdscan didn't, it opened the unix domain socket,
> > did a getpeername, then wandered off hanging on a TCP connect to a
> > seemingly random IP.
>
> This is a know issue, it's not just you.

Thanks! That's a comfort to know.

> > And last, but it seems likely that this is a portable concern, when
> > I switched on "User clamav" (after creating the user, of course),
> > clamd could no longer write its pidfile in /var/run; [...]
> Or create a subdirectory, /var/run/clamav, owned by clamav.

[ sound of me whapping my head ]

Thanks, that's vastly simpler, and evidently the right fix. I should
know this stuff.

Thanks again,

-Bennett