I don't know if it will mean less work and be quicker/less intensive,
but I think an option to stop scanning on --first virus found --fast
might be benificial.  clamav would stop scanning once it found one
infection/the first signs of infection.

I see situations when a script is scanning 100 files in a zip archive
or message or directory where it may not be necessary to scan the rest
of the files once the first infected file was found.  It would exit
and report the a virus detection to the script which would take an
approriate action.  This may save a bit of proccessing power and
quicken things up a bit.  I hope this will help MTAs scanning hundreds
of messages.

use --less,  --fastexit or just -f or -1 or some other appropriate name

Perhaps if there were several files in a directory to be scanned it
might also prioritize the order so it would scan .exe's before .gif's
etc and archives last (more work) last -- if that was possible.  So in
a message with html txt a .com and a .gif, it would scan the .com
first (whatever is most likely to be infected) as it could exit
immediately if this option was specified without needing to scan the
other parts.  Similarly, a directory/zip with one exe and several
readmes docs pdfs whatever, would have the exe scanned first.