On 03/12/2010 06:54 PM, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 Tomasz Kojm wrote:
>
>>> G.W. Haywood wrote:
>>> I'd like to add my voice to those who want an easy way to disable
>>> [the bytecode interpreter] - I can see nothing in the clamd.conf
>>> man page for 0.96-rc1 which offers any solace.
>> As Edwin already described, you just set the "Bytecode" option to "no"
>> in freshclam.conf.
>
> I'm starting to wonder if you guys shouldn't get out more.
>
> Simply giving the bytecode interpreter nothing to interpret is not
> acceptable.  I don't want to just be able to give the interpreter
> nothing to do; I would want to be able to disable it, so that it can't
> do anything, even (especially!) if it is given something to do.

How would you give it something to do if you didn't load any bytecodes?

> You'll understand why I didn't look in the freshclam.conf man page; I
> was thinking more along the lines of an option to the daemon at the
> time it is started, or perhaps - much better - a 'configure' option, so
> that the interpreter code isn't even built into the, er, daemon binary.

I think a configure option is possible, it would work the same way as
--enable-llvm/--disable-llvm builds/links either libclamav/c++ or
libclamav/bytecode_nojit.c: there could be a libclamav/bytecode_disabled.c

Best regards,
--Edwin