In embedded application, is the hard constraint efficiently addressable
writeable memory space, or simply available random accessable memory?
I am having a little trouble envisioning a fileserver design that would run
well on an embedded system that couldn't comfortably support extra memory
for sigs, wouldn't the code to implement a robust filesystem plus the
buffering needed for cache dominate?

I haven't set up ClamAV in a while.

Can't seem to quickly find signature database format from my phone. Does
the format not include category classification, like snort's? For some
security policies, I could easily see a subset of the database sufficing,
especially if you could occasionally check from a bigger system.