Hi

I have a basic question. Most body-based signatures are hex based(lets
focus on fixed string signatures alone for simplicity), whereas some of the
files are hex(EXE) or character-based(HTML).

In the code I see unsigned chars used predominantly to represent patterns
and file contents. At the very core, do the string matching algorithms,
mainly extended Boyer Moore, I would like to understand how the datatypes
gets manipulated.

1) Do the character based files get translated to hex to compare with body
based signatures?

2) Does the signature get treated as a string of chars?
If yes,
Does a toy signature "fe" gets treated as two chars(8 bits each) for "f"
and "e" (or)
Does the code read the signature "fe" and maps into one character based on
the ASCII table (for example)?

Thank you..