On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:56:47PM -0500, jef moskot wrote :

[...]

> Thanks, that puts things into a little perspective.
>
> I'm really just looking for a GENERAL idea.  For example, if you had to
> explain to the average user what sort of viruses were being added to the
> database...is it MOSTLY new ones?  MOSTLY old ones?  About half and half?
>
> Would it be fair to say that when a new update comes out that it has
> likely been triggered by a recent discovery?

We have mainly two types of contributors:

- ISP or domain administrators. All those people send mainly new
  versions of virii. With their help, we have newest viruses in very
  short time. I think we can say that we have samples of new spreading
  virii in record times. An example ? When the Sober.C worm began to
  spread, we received about 4 submissions in some hours. And many more
  after it was added to the database.

  > Submissions: 315, 316, 317, 321
  > Senders: Christian Kühn, Peter Surda, Joerg Seyfried, Andreas Grundler
  > Virus name: Sober.C
  > Added: Worm.Sober.C

  Since submissions are checked many times a day, I think we can say
  that new viruses that were sent to us are added to database on
  a 1 day delay.

- Independant or personal contributors:
  Can send various types of viruses. New, old ones, unknown, Trojans,
  etc. Some of them are crawling the www to find the virii we don't
  have. Their contributions are important since they submit mainly more
  uncommon viruses that ISP do not often receive.

There are actually a _balance_ between old and new viruses we receive.
But, as said T. Papszun, the newests ones have all our attention and are
processed in first.

In conclusion, and to answer your question, we receive actually a
majority of current worms,trojans and viruses that are still in activity.
Those are analysed on a fifo base.
At any time, if fast spreading new virus is received, it preempts the
other submissions.

Hope this mail answers your questions.

/ddm

--