Hi, Jon

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:45:11 -0500
"Jon R. Kibler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> In the past few days we have experienced multiple stability problems with
> clamav. Here is our environment:
>
> Solaris 9 (sparc)
> mimedefang 2.36 w/ sendmail 8.12.10
> clamav 0.65
>
> The problems appear to be two fold:
>   1) freshclam, run as a daemon, crashes without sending a notify.
>      freshclam appears to die anytime it finds a problem with a database
>      update instead of just reporting the error and keep on running to try
>      again later.
>   2) "something" is causing clamd to die. this just started Monday.
>      the only indication of a problem is that mimedefang starts reporting
>      all sorts of strange errors. in mimedefang, we are using clamdscan
>      instead of clamd directly, as it appears to catch some problems that
>      are missed when running clamd directly under the control of mimedefang
>      (which I view as a mimedefang problem, not a clamav problem).

I am another clamav user with Solaris 9 SPARC and Sun's sendmail, so this is
not an official response to your bug report.

Why not run freshclam from a crontab entry?  I have freshclam running twice a
day and I always get a mail message, even when there is a problem such as the
MD5 checksum error, et. al. that have occurred recently.

Have you tried running clamav-milter?  I have no problems with that setup.  It
even picked up a message with the recent bagel worm just shortly after I read
about it on the net.

Alex