Hello, I'm trying to install ClamAV with real-time protection (on open,
on close, on exec) on a
Pentium II with RedHat Linux 9.0.
As far as I could understand, for that I need Dazuko installed and
ClamukoScanOnLine activated.
When I start the clamd service I get the following message in the
clamd.log file:
ERROR: Clamuko: Can't register with Dazuko

I read that Dazuko only can interact with processes running as root,
but ClamAV is running with
clamav user. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that clamav shouldn't be
run with root user (I can't
find it now to read again the context, but I guess that was for
security reasons). In spite of
that I changed the clamav.conf file from User clamav to User root, but
after that change when I
started the service the system became extremely slowly, so I had to
"reboot" (manually) my
computer (I couldn't even execute an ls command, but it didn't really
hang-up, I could change from
window to window). After reboot I found in clamd.log:
Clamuko: Correctly registered with Dazuko.

So my questions are the following:
- Must clamd be run as root user in order to enable real-time
protection?
- Is it normal that my computer became so slow? Can this be solved?
How?
- Do you have any suggestion? I need real-time protection enabled.

Regards, and thanks in advance,

--Claudio