I have this problem as well.  Thing is, i start the clamd service while i
am root, but clamd is running as my clamav user.  I always thought this
was the correct way to do it.  Isnt clamd running as root a bad idea?

my clamav.conf shows:

# Run as selected user (clamd must be started by root).
# By default it doesn't drop privileges.
User clamav

It was set this way by default, i made no changes.  Is something else
wrong?

Thanks
Jim