Shot myself in the foot with this one. Here's the story:

I made the change to qmail-scanner.pl by copying the file to
qmail-scanner.tmp, editing the .tmp then moving the .tmp back to
qmail-scanner.pl. But when you do this as root, the .tmp file is owned by
root, but qmail-scanner.pl *must* be owned by qscand.
Once I got the ownerships back as it should be, I could set Q-S.pl to use
clamdscan again.

BTW, I posted this problem twice, since the first message took a few days
(!) to appear on the list, and I thot it had "got lost".