I was recently using clamscan on cli to scan -m /home/*/Maildir, because of some odd problems with sockets causing clamdscan to segfault on my mail gateway (which probably allowed some Worm.SCO.A files through, since we've been getting so many lately).

On one particular email, clamscan would segfault with no actual error, so I isolated the file it was segfaulting on, and tried it again.

Sure enough, that was the email causing the segfault. I emailed that same email to myself, and watched it cause clamd to stop responding (the socket exists, the pids are all there, but after that email passes through the system clamd stops responding, forcing amavis to carry on without further virus checking).

After restarting the needed services I ran an strace of that same process, and emailed myself the strace.

Then I attempted to email myself the core dump, and got to see this:

eb 15 22:19:39 mail2 amavis[2913]: (02913-03) INFECTED (Trojan.MiniCommander.dr), <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, quarantine virus-20040215-221937-02913-03, Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Hits: -

So I ran clamscan against the core dump, and sure enough:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] paul.tietjens]# clamscan core.5791
core.5791: Trojan.MiniCommander.dr FOUND