I am trying to use clamav to scan mail on a prduction mail server that has fairly high volume of mail and quite a large volume of viruses being receivied. The only version of clamd I can run for any duration is clamav-devel-20040209. That version runs for 4 to 5 days on my production mail server before dying. Everything since then can't last over an hour. I am trying clamav-devel-20040304 right now and it has managed to last an hour twice and 44 minutes once. What happens is that clamd runs using less than 3% of the cpu until it nears the end. Then it takes over all the available cpu running idle to zero. It continues to function this way for a couple minutes and then quits responding at all to clamav-milter. Then it goes away quietly. The only messages associated with it are notes from sendmail that it is unable to malloc more memory. I have submitted debug logs etc. but heard nothing back.

One possibility is that this is a thread issue. Perhaps the clamav.conf settings are not optimal for this volume. However, I don't see anyway to determine the thread usage. If it used processes the standard unix tools would let me see what is going on. I don't see anything similar for threads. The appropriate entries are:

StreamSaveToDisk
StreamMaxLength 5M
MaxThreads 200
#ThreadTimeout 500

I just uncommented the thread timeout the last time I restarted clamd a couple minutes ago so I don't know what effect that will have.

Running on FreeBSD 4.6 with sendmail
clamd / ClamAV version devel-20040304, clamav-milter version 0.67j

I really don't want to have to go back to the old version as the volume of encrypted zip files is quite large.