> No idea how easy this would be to implement but here goes:
>
> As well as the virus signature databases, how about having an alias
> database which would contain a record for each virus, indicating its
> ClamAV name along with those used by the more mainstream AV software
> like Sophos, McAfee etc. Then have the scanning software (clamd etc.)
> accept a commandline switch to indicate your preferred naming. That way,
> if you also use Sopos/McAfee/whatever on internal servers you could get
> ClamAV to report an infection using the same naming as internally.  Of
> course, as the Clam sigs are usually ahead of the rest, the aliases for
> a particular virus would all be set to ClamAV's chosen name. Then, as
> the other vendors get their signatures out the aliases could be updated
> accordingly.
>
> Workable/unworkable/insane idea?
>
> Paul

I like it!

Should be quite simple to implement and very workable - depending on the
will of the powers that be to maintain...

A little more complex idea would be to create a cololaborative maintenance
system allowing the users to update and complete the information - a simple
voting system could accept mutliple submissions from confirmed contributors
as validation...

With such a database (downloadable like freshclam currently maintains
regular virus db) we could issue warnings that make more sense to users of
bigger name commercial products, and even generate links to their
educational content on the virii...

The feeling I get is that clam detects the virus - generates the sig and
done... Norton, etc. decode it and see what it does and then publish the
info - when the link between the clam viruss and the norton name is made
(for example) a link to that content would let the clam user know what they
found and what potential damage it could or might have already caused.

The developers of clam already have probably got their plates full with clam
issues... I could (as I imagine many others) consider building and hosting
something like this if there was enough support for it - thoughts?

Thanks!

m/