On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Great for netsky since almost everyone uses it.

Exactly.

> Should clamav have migrated along from SCO to NOVARG to MYDOOM just
> because the others came along later and in that order?

It could easily be taken on a case-by-case basis.  But, as even you admit,
Netsky/SomeFool is a slam dunk.

> Most viruses don't last for more than a few days anyway, so this only
> applies to the rare cases (like lately with the virus wars over netsky
> et al).

I agree.

> The focus of the product is to stop viruses, not to name them with a
> popular name.

Yes, but this is not best accomplished by calling users "stupid" (even
when they are).  We don't want to make something available to people and
then insult them when they use it in good faith.  The larger issue it that
the more people who use anti-virus methods and the more well-informed
users we have, the better it is for everyone.

Jeffrey Moskot
System Administrator