On Apr 6, 2004, at 3:23 PM, Diego d'Ambra wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:clamav-users-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of jef moskot
Sent: 6. april 2004 19:08
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Clamav-users] Virus Names

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Eric Rostetter wrote:
If netsky is Worm.SomeFool, then why is it not labeled as
Worm.SomeFool?

But when something is this much of a phenomenon, why not just change
the
name? I know it's been done for other worms in the past.

And that is what we'll (try to) do in the future (if a common name has been established).

With all due respect, this may be a bad idea, if I understand you correctly...you're saying that when a virus is found by the clamav team and it's called foo, then other companies get ahold of it and call it bar, the clam team should call it bar also, correct?

This would mean that floating around out there in googleland (and for awhile unupdated databases) would be the name foo. People researching will find extremely short-lived virus names floating around because it is one that was renamed...

I'm sure there's a simple solution and I'm probably just worrying too much over it, but I would still think it would be better to have a wiki or some kind of knowledge base set up where people could put in information on the virus. The ClamAV name, and a list of aliases from other companies, and maybe a breakdown of the behavior/payload/etc. of the virus, when it was added to the clamav database, etc. and just reference it that way. It would mean minimal changes to clamav, a volunteer group (or the whole user community) could contribute separately from the programming team...would that work?

-Bart