Am Mittwoch, 11. August 2004 13:53 schrieb Bart Silverstrim:

Hi Bart,

> the idea does become popular, and clam and other programs out there
> start taking advantage of it

DNS was developed exactly for this kind of purpose.

> ...I don't know about all of you, but I
> didn't set up a DNS server on a system meant for constant hits from
> other sources querying it

Sorry, I dont want to sound impolite but please try to become familiar how DNS
works in todays internet.

> ; it's just a little system that can handle
> the load of a small network and that's pretty much it :-)

Your little DNS server will only get queries from you very own clamav
installation but not from _anyone_ else.

> And what
> about systems that restrict querying to certain IPs?

?? This makes no sense. If you system is able to do http with using fqdn then
it is also able to use the DNS.

> If a service
> starts getting abused, that tends to be when (clueful) admins start
> taking steps to lock things down; many places with NTP servers, for
> example, will host a "public" site until too many people start hitting
> and if it starts to become a burden, the time server suddenly
> disappears. :-(

Typically the DNS load will be put on the ISPs. The ISPs prever _very_ much
people using the DNS which is an incoherent or loosly coherent caching and
distributed database to permanent polling, multicast or pushing.

Funny enough: The protocol ideas you are proposeing are putting _more_ load on
the DNS(*) than the direct DNS idea.

(*) it is save to assume that your protocol ideas don't use static ip numbers
but use DNS to do gethostbyname() resolving.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]