> >I still don't see why rsync can't be used here.  It can
> >easily do incremental
> >updates.
>
> True. However,
> (1) many firewall admins allow outgoing HTTP and DNS
> ports; I cannot say the same for rsync port.
> (2) The uncompressed signature (viruses.db*) files is a
> good candidate for rsync (or even a simple diff command).
> I don't know how well rsync or diff performs on the
> compressed-signed *.cvd.

Hmmm... interesting points... but what about this option?

Rsync and diff are generic "patching" mechanisms meant to accomodate data
without a known format - we don't have that problem here.

My understanding is that for the most part database updates are additions,
though sometimes there may be deletions or updates to preexisting keys....

Lets say on the SERVER side, those updates were kept in something of the
form:

version|status|signature|md5

Where version is the version number containing the change...
status is + (new sig), - (remove sig), or = (update sig) (the sematics are
important, the values of the enum are not of course)
and signature contains whatever the current fields of the database are...
md5 would be the checksum of a database if all patches applied to this point
are sucessful

Then, any freshclam could connect, something like:

http://somemirror.db?version=xxx

The server would then return all updates > xxx, which would allow the
freshclam to patch it's local database, and verify the last md5 is a match
for the md5 of the updated local db. If the update fails to produce a
matching checksum, freshclam could then pull a fresh copy in it's entirety.

This would mean the mirrors would have to support basic scripting (PHP?) but
we could trade a significant portion of the bandwidth for a few cpu
cycles...

m/