On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 07:48, Tomasz Papszun wrote:
> Please, make sure you do NOT send notifications to senders (they are
> almost always spoofed nowadays), maybe except pertaining MS Office
> macros and test signatures (EICAR and ClamAV-Test-Signature).

I completely agree with that, but...

> Also, do NOT send notifications to intended recipients (or they will
> hate you ;-) ).

...thats more subjective.  We always send notifications to our internal
users (within our company) when they are the intended recipient of a
virus, we've never had a complaint about this as far as I know (and we
certainly recieve plenty!).  Our thinking is that we want our users to
know that we are protecting them and understand the scale of the
problem.  It also reinforces the warning messages we send out when there
is a new rapidly spreading message (we warn our users to encourage them
to take care when checking webmail etc. and also as a courtesy to those
with a PC at home).  It also helps justify some of the file type
blocking we do (such as not allowing .exe files) if users can see we are
catching infected files of the types we block.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.