On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:35:26AM -0700, Bill Randle wrote:
<large snipping>

> > > 0 * * * * sleep $[ $RANDOM % 1800 ] ; /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet
> > >
> > > this causes it to sleep for a random period of time not exceeding
> > > 30 min before executing.
> > >
> > > Rob
> >

> > Matt
>
> Slightly better, I think, is to add an offset to avoid hitting close to
> the hour. This is what I use:
>       sleep $[ 900 + $RANDOM % 1800 ]
>
> which goes from 15 past to 15 to the hour.
>
>       -Bill

Or simply place your offset into the crontab entry.  EG:

12 * * * * sleep $[ $RANDOM % 1800 ] ; /usr/local/bin/freshclam --quiet

Which would give you 12 to 42 minutes after the hour.

Same effect.  Different insertion point.

UNIX: How many ways can we acomplish the same thing today?
Choice is good.

Cheers,
L4J