OK, I got clamav-milter running!

The problem was that I was starting it using the instructions in the ClamAV
documentation on page 25:
/usr/local/sbin/clamav-milter -lo /var/clamav/clmilter.sock
That does start clamav-milter as shown by ps, but it doesn't seem to work n
my system.

I found the clamav-milter start script and copied it to /etc/init.d.  I can
then do:
/etc/init.d/clamav-milter -lo /var/clamav/clmilter.sock
That starts something called "t-clamav-milte" as shown by ps and then the
milter appears to work correctly:
infected mail is returned to the sender.

One question remaining is:  there is a provision for a clamav-milter.conf
configuration file and
I've been advised to place it in /etc/conf.d.  Since I'm on a RedHat 7
system, I don't have a /etc/conf.d directory.
Where should I put this file?  How does clamav-milter know to look for this
file in that location?

The suggested contents for clamav-milter.conf are:

START_CLAMAVMILTER=yes
CLAMAVMILTER_OPTS="
        --config-file=/etc/clamav.conf
        --max-children=20
        --quiet
        -ol local:/var/lib/clamav/clamav-milter.socket
"
CLAMAVMILTER_LOG="/var/log/clamav/clamav-milter.log"

Also, is there a method for shutting down clamav-milter other than using
kill?

Thanks very much!

Ken Morley