> With one caveat.
> It is perfectly acceptable to place an explanatory message in an SMTP
> REJECT message.
>
> Something like
>
> EHLO (hi)
> MAIL FROM (ok)
> RCPT TO (ok)
> DATA (can't accept for delivery, contains the EICAR virus!)
>
> If the mail is being sent by a virus, the virus will usually just give
> up and go on to the next recipient server on their list.  No "you sent a
> virus" mail is sent to a (usually) innocent third party.
>
> If the virus is a false positive, and is really good mail being sent by
> a legitimate mail server, the sending mail server will keep the
> responsibility of generating the undeliverable message.
>
> It would be nice if the SMTP reject message was customizable - say, to
> include a phone number to call in case of false positives.  I didn't see
> anything in the man pages for 0.75.1 - did I miss it?
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]                      805.964.4554 x902

Clam doesn't do this at all. It's the widget that is used to integrate with
the MTA that has control of this. I use courier, and this is exactly how my
mail server handles it.

Whatever integration tool you use to tie clam to your MTA (or the MTA
itself) has this job - that's why it's not in the clam man pages ;-)

m/