jay wrote:
Hi, all:

I'm pretty new to all of this compile stuff. I've gotten this far, with a lot of trial and error.

My system:

Sun Solaris 9 X86 on a random old PC, AMD chip, 1 gig ram.

Mail Server: Sun Java Enterprise System Messaging Server 6.1 (installed, and working)
SpamAssassin 3.01 (took me a week of messing with it to get it to compile)

I'd truly like to get Clam AV working.
configure runs without error.

Make offers this, after many screenfulls:

[snippage happened]

../libtool: ar: command not found
make[1]: *** [libclamav.la] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/clamav-0.80/libclamav'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

It looks to me like it's not finding the binary, "ar", though it's in the normal place. any ideas?

Is /usr/ccs/bin in your path ($ echo $PATH)? You need it only for the compilation. I like to use a wrapper script around the build process so I can repeat it often. It's a good place to add a temporary path as well as any ./configure options.

Another good idea is to use crle to fill out your library search path so you don't need to mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH hacks. For example (linux people: you look the other way for a moment):

$ crle -c /var/ld/ld.config \
   -l /usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/ssl/lib:/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/lib

You absolutely must include the /usr/lib directory or the system will crash. Add the rest as needed. You cannot edit ld.config directly though it is tempting to do so.

dp