I have a machine that has been running sendmail with spamassassin for several months. Over the past week I have been trying to implement clamav into the mix. It compiled fine, clamd starts with no error, clamd log looks good, pid and socket are both there. When I launch the clamav milter it looks like it loads fine but no process ever shows. I have the line for the milter in then sendmail.cf and when I rebuild sendmail I start getting errors like this: milter_read(clmilter): cmd read returned 11, expecting 1431194445. I have googled away for some time now and can't figure out what this error means. I found a posting on this list about it but the guy's problem ended up being that his lines in the sendmail.cf were being put on 2 lines instead of one, and I am sure that this isn't my problem. Below I have included what information I thought might be helpful.

Clamav-milter 0.80
Sendmail 8.12.10

<BEGIN Clamd.conf>
LogFile /var/log/clamd.log
LogFileMaxSize 2M
LogTime
LogSyslog
LogVerbose

PidFile /var/milter/clamd.pid
LocalSocket /var/milter/clmilter.sock
FixStaleSocket

User clamav
<END Clamd.conf>

Sendmail Configuration:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',`S=local:/var/milter/clmilter.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl

I know Clamd is working I ran clamdscan and it worked beautifully. The sockets also seem to be working;

# ls -l /var/milter/
total 4
-rw-rw----   1 clamav clamav   5 Dec 27 15:09 clamd.pid
srwxrwxrwx   1 clamav clamav   0 Dec 27 15:09 clmilter.sock

/rc.d/rc.local
/usr/local/sbin/clamd
/usr/local/sbin/clamav-milter -l -o -b -P -H /var/milter/clmilter.sock

(My office wants just about all of the extra's on that we can have so that's the reason for all the runtime loads)

I think my problem is somewhere when launching clamav-milter but I am not sure. I tried turning off all of the options just to see if it would load and show up but that didn't seem to help any. Please any help and I would be most grateful.

Josh