On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 at 12:52:14 +0000, Rob MacGregor wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:51:38 -0000, Clive McDowell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have a requirement to scan messages in mailbox files on a mailhost. The
> > host is a sparc platform (Solaris 8) and has a mixture of standard unix and
> > mbx format mailbox files. I have been advised that ClamAV may be able to
> > scan mailbox files and presumably handle the de-miming that is required.
> > Before I start experimenting in earnest is it true that ClamAV can do this?
>
> To some degree, though (as other recent threads have pointed out) it's
> not designed to be used that way.

Things aren't so bad :-).

> It's designed to be used as, for
> example, with your MTA to detect the viruses before they are
> delivered.
>
> I don't know how good it's MIME capabilities are.

Quite good, actually. They are improved all the time, so you may want to
use CVS version for this (or wait for releasing 0.81).

Though I'm not sure about something you call "mbx format mailbox files"
as you contrast them with "standard unix mailbox files".

--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/iso/ | ones and zeros.