On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 08:04:41PM -0500, David A. Cobb said:
> AMD (i386) Athlon XP, 256 Meg RAM, Debian 'sarge', kernel 2.4.27
> Every attempt to install ClamAV fails with the complaint raised by the
> post-install script for 'freshclam'

> [16:40:36] bash3 $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> Setting up clamav-freshclam (0.81-2) ...
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
> debconf: (Dialog frontend is incompatible with emacs shell buffers)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
> debconf: (Term::ReadLine::GNU is incompatable with emacs shell buffers.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
> Starting ClamAV virus database updater: ERROR: Can't open
> /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode (check permissions!).
> ERROR: Problem with internal logger.
> invoke-rc.d: initscript clamav-freshclam, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing clamav-freshclam (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>
> I have tried various modifications to the perms on the directory or
> logfile;
> currently set as:
>
> drwxrwxrwx   2 clamav      adm           4096 Feb 13 17:33 clamav
>
> and:
>
>  -rw-r-----   1 clamav adm    0 Feb 13 17:33 freshclam.log
>
> My attempts included removing the directory and purging the package,
> then re-installing.
> Nothing seems to satisfy the initscript.
>
> Can anyone suggest my next move?

I would suggest fixing your debconf blowup first, as this may sort
things out for you in a roundabout manner.  The config file
freshclam.conf is generated by debconf on install, and I have a feeling
that something is wronf with the config file, and you are getting a
misleading error message.  What are the contents of freshclam.conf?
permissions?
|  Stephen Gran                  | It's not the men in my life, but the    |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | life in my men that counts.   -- Mae    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | West                                    |