On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 14:57 +0100, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 08:49, Dennis Peterson wrote:
> > Dörfler Andreas said:
> > > the versioncheck for zlib isnt the best.
> > > suse for example fixes the security hole
> > > in 1.2.1 with patches and not with a installation
> > > from a new version.
> > > forget the warning.
> > >

> > Sounds like suse has introduced a configuration management anomaly. How
> > much running around looking for such anomalies do you think these fine
> > developers should do for free?
> >
> > Damn, but this has been a week of whiners. This software hasn't a brain,
> > people, use your own.
> >

> Nobody is whining here Dennis.
>
> I was asking a question about what the zlib warning was all about. The
> 3rd party SRPM requires zlib 1.2.1.2 which is the latest available for
> FC3 (1.2.2.2 is in Rawhide). The zlib homepage doesn't mention anything
> about 1.2.2 (you can download it if you manually change the download
> URLs). From the zlib ChangeLog I can't see anything important that would
> make 1.2.1.2 any less accetable than 1.2.2:
>
> Changes in 1.2.2 (3 October 2004)
> - Update zlib.h comments on gzip in-memory processing
> - Set adler to 1 in inflateReset() to support Java test suite [Walles]
> - Add contrib/dotzlib [Ravn]
> - Update win32/DLL_FAQ.txt [Truta]
> - Update contrib/minizip [Vollant]
> - Move contrib/visual-basic.txt to old/ [Truta]
> - Fix assembler builds in projects/visualc6/ [Truta]

A simple search in the archive for "zlib 1.2.2" turns this up:

http://lurker.clamav.net/message/20041103.143255.97fa22ec.en.html

It contains the references you are asking for, a link to the *current*
zlib homepage which has 1.2.2 all over it, and the front page then
states this:

"Version 1.2.2 eliminates a potential security vulnerability in zlib
1.2.1, so all users of 1.2.1 should upgrade immediately. The following
important fixes are provided in zlib 1.2.2:

      * Eliminate a potential security vulnerability when decoding
        invalid compressed data
      * Fix bug when decompressing dynamic blocks with no distance codes
      * Do not return an error when using gzread() on an empty file"

-trog