Dennis Peterson wanted us to know:

>> Of the two processes (spam scanning and virus scanning), spam scanning is
>> more resource-intensive (at least the way I do it) - so I virus scan
>> first, and spam-scan second.
>Interesting - that is exactly the opposite of my experiences so I'm
>interested in knowing more about your content scanning tool. I don't use
>Perl for this (or anything else) so I'm wondering if that may be a factor.

Possibly.  Using spamassassin in daemon mode with spamass-milter.

>But yes, no point in double-damning a message when once will do, and I
>guess that was my point, and clearly the most efficient method should be
>first.

When a milter is configured to reject at the SMTP level, it never gets
to the second milter in the chain.  So if clamav-milter detects a virus,
the CPU intensive content scanning process never sees the message (hence
much lower load).

The amount of time that clamav spends chomping on an email is typically
less than 1 second.  The amount of time that spamassassin spends
chomping on an email is typically about 2 seconds.  So ~33% time (or
less) for clamav and ~66% time (or more) for spamassassin.  This
information gleaned from averages in my maillogs.
--
Regards...              Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin