Mike Partyka wrote:
Hello Jim,

Thanks for the response.

Um..clamav 0.83 uses clamd.conf, not clamav.conf.

This also confused me, when i looked at the man page it indicated that since 0.80 the config file name was changed to clamd.conf, but this does not seem to be the problem as i sym-linked the existing /etc/clamav.conf to /etc/clamd.conf and the same error occurred again. This is on SuSE Ent. Server 9 and i don't know why but i think they (SuSE/Novell) compiled ClamAV and hardcoded the config file to /etc/clamav.conf. I'm not sure how to verify this but i don't know how else to explain it.

The overlap was my imagination, i thought i was seeing many of the same
options but i see what you mean, they are specific to each service.

Well, its possible that its a suse specific thing, but as i never used suse, i really dont know. You could try to install from source and see if you have any more luck that way. You could also try to get more information from a suse support list if you like.

Also, what are the permissions on the clamd.conf file? Is the user running clamav able to open this file?

-Jim