Bart Silverstrim wrote:

On May 5, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Matt Fretwell wrote:

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

This is actually two separate scenarios.

That was Daniel's fault instigated by his being vague :)

"Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me. " Bonus points if you identify what it's from :-p

Princess Bride

to which in my head I dreamed a few moments about what it would be like
to be a true BOFH on our network and have the power...political
power...to get away with locking people out of their favorite web sites
despite outranking me in the org chart and what it would be like to not
have to deal with the politics of XYZ not being able to get their
content completely rendered because of some glitch of interaction
between the proxy and scanner and the website they're trying to get
forms from.  Ahhh to dream a little dream!

 Tell the accountants they can save money by locking down a network. You
would be amazed how quickly things happen :) Plus, they get all the
stick from irate users|management :)

Nope, doesn't work that way. User complaints and convenience are balanced against us.

Over here at our hospital we got numerous requests for the ceo's secretary to have full internet access. Eventually we had to give it to her as we were told that he job function required it. To this day i see nothing but jcpenny.com and macys.com in the logs from her terminal. Seems she really likes buying shoes...

-Jim