On May 16, 2005, at 1:41 PM, John Jolet wrote:

This email, for instance was sent from a properly configured mta running antispam and antivirus scanning in BOTH directions, from a dynamic ip. If my wife sends email from her computer, it goes to the isp's mta, which does inbound only scanning. I have several rules in place for postfix to force it to use my isp's mta for domains that refuse traffic from dynamic or "residential" ip addresses. The price for a non-residential ip from my isp is nearly double that for residential. Do I get any added-value service for that? No, in fact, I lose the ability to take faulty equipment directly to the service center for replacement, instead of waiting for a service call. I think more people running mtas would take the tack of examining the TRAFFIC, not the IP it came from. That's just laziness.

Also...what if you don't trust your provider? What if you want to have more control over the spam filtering, the virus handling...data retention...remember, in the US, your ISP records can be searched now without them being able to notify you, and your messages logged from their mail server.

Yes, there are ways around it, but why make it really easy for the people the tin-foil-hat brigade fears?

And what if you believe that people willing to take responsibility for their connections should be allowed to do so? It's the irresponsible, the lazy, and the foolish that are setting up open relays today. If someone is willing to take the time to wear the sysadmin hat and do it right, they should be able to run their own mail service. The ISP should be just that. Internet Service Provider. Gimme my connection and leave the rest to me, thank you! :-)