Dennis Peterson wrote:
Jim Maul said:

Dennis Peterson wrote:

Jim Maul said:

Matt Fretwell wrote:

Jim Maul wrote:

Call me old fashioned, but this is something I like to deal with
myself. There's still a roll for the thinking admin.

No, dont get me wrong here, im not saying clamav should "predict"
anything.  Nor should it have to deal with misconfigured software.
This
is of course left up to the admin.  However, it seems that it
*creates*
the logfile owned by root.  And that..well..just isnt right.

Just to test, as an ordinary user, run:

touch /var/log/test.log

Now why does it create the logfile as root?

While i get your point, it is irrelevant because it should not log in /var/log/ directly. It should log in /var/log/clamav/

It will log where ever the clamd.conf file says it will log -
permissions
permitting. There is no concept of "should".

To the program itself, no. If you tell it to log to / it will, however, it SHOULDNT. See what im saying? To say that clamav *has* to create the log file as root because only root can write to /var/log/ is irrelevant to the issue.

While you're out there making up rules can you think of any reason clamd
needs to be started as user root if all you do is scan incoming email? I
can't.

Um, where am i making up rules? Thanks for the accusation though.
And no, i cant think of why you would want to or have to run clamd as root. I run clamd as user qscand, not root so im not sure what your implying here.

Thanks again,

-Jim