On May 17, 2005, at 3:39 PM, Dennis Peterson wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

For email transfer and MTA's alike, putting SPF in DNS to help
"authenticate" the source is a step in the right direction. If SPF is a
good idea, and it is dns based, then so should forward-and-back lookups.
If additional mail standardization can take place (again) then spam can be
reduced to a certain degree. I much like Brian Read's idea of blocking
mail xfer from sites which are not authenticated (SASL) or who cannot give
a proper reverse lookup. Every ISP we have worked with have been happy to
create or change a PTR entry in their dns, even if it took a lot of work
to get the ISP to do so (I even offered to do it for one isp and they
finally did it themself).

If we can standardize the set of rules and protocols required for an MTA
to accept an email, then spam will reduce. Either that or we need to
build a better mousetrap. This is jut my $0.02.

Your thoughts?

-Eric

How would you handle the PTR record for an SMTP server that hosts 500 virtual domains?

Guess by charging a nominal fee for those hosts to have the record maintained? :-)