On May 24, 2005, at 13:21, Stephen Gran wrote:

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:54:47PM -0700, Doug Hardie said:

ktrace is effectively the same thing as truss so I used it.  There
are two files available:

http://www.lafn.org/clamav/ktrace.html
http://www.lafn.org/clamav/clamd.html

ktrace.html is the output of ktrace - its about 14 MB
clamd.html is the clamd.log file entries - very small and probably of
no value

It is difficult to say from the provided ktrace file what is happening,
as there are no timestamps and all lines have the same pid.  One thing
that seems odd is that the milter appears to continue accepting and
processing input after a reload event has happened.  Not for the body,
ut for all other milter events (header, connect, etc). That is a start
at least.

Is there a way to log seperately by pid or something with ktrace?  I
don't know it well, so I am not sure what arguments to tell you to pass
it.  Also, I am not sure that will even work - in a proper thread
implementation, all threads share a pid (but have different lwp id's) so
this may not be possible.

clamav-milter is only one process. It has multiple threads but those are not visible to the kernel. The problem does not occur immediately with a database reload. It takes 10 or so minutes before it hangs/quits. I suspect that the problem occurs when there are active messages that do not complete before some timeout value. clamav-milter is waiting for everything to go quiet, but on my receive mail server that never happens. There are always 30-40 active sendmail children. As a result it never goes quiet. I suspect that clamav-milter eventually gives up and thats when the problem occurs. On my outgoing mail server which handles considerably less mail, most of the database updates do not cause a problem. On my test server which handles 3 email daily it never causes a problem.

kdump will provide the timestamps if that would be helpful, but the entries are pretty much evenly spaced out over about a 5 minute period between when I touched the daily file and when it hung.