On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 03:29:03PM -0700, Dennis Peterson said:
> Stephen Gran said: And I said in the next post this is not the way I'd
> do it. And you've spoiled the fun that was sure to come in the OP's
> next question, so let's get right to the issue at hand.

I am not sure what the point of giving bad advice to someone who clearly
has difficulty understanding the ramifications of the bad advice is.  I
guess giving good advice the first time around would spoil the fun,
though.

> The problem of the OP and which has not been addressed by anyone
> (except me last week) is that many of you people insist on starting or
> running this stuff as user root. If the OP had created a cronjob for
> user clamav or whomever the run-as user is the crontab would have
> truely met the KISS test (another bit of an insult from someone else,
> eh).

Well, let's see ... ah yes, my packages do set the cron job to run as
whichever user owns the DatabaseDirectory (clamav by default).  So I
guess I am not one of 'you people', so no problem there.  If you're not
familiar with the KISS principle, and it's self-deprecatory connotations,
I can't help you there.

> Errors would automatically go to user clamav's inbox and that can and
> arguably should be aliased to the cognizant adminstrator. No need for
> tests or mail or pipes or redirected stdxxx. Simple.

Well then why didn't you offer that solution up front, instead of
playing games with the OP?  Again, I don't see the point in advising
something you are saying is insecure.  Do you actually have a good
reason for giving advice you think is bad, or do you just like having
fun at someone else's expense?

> > Those who live in glass houses and so forth.  Can we try to keep a
> > civil tongue, at least when you have your foot in your mouth?
>
> Can I use your response as an example of civility?

Absolutely.

You gave advice that
a) didn't do what was expected (generate an email only on errors)
b) was insecure by your definition

and then you were condescending to the OP, and rude to others who tried
to help the OP.  If you want me to be rude, I can, but that wasn't it.

That wasn't rude, it was just pointing out the obvious.

Relax, and let's play nice for a while.  I am here because I often hear
of potential problems with a software suite I use and maintain mentioned
first here, and because I get to help off load a little of the work of
support off of the people who do the bulk of the work keeping clam going
by answering questions.  Hopefully you're here for similar reasons, and
not just to mock people who are struggling.  I'm assuming that you're
here because you want to help and be helped.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | This must be morning.  I never could    |
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             | get the hang of mornings.               |