On Mon, 30 May 2005, Stephen Gran wrote:

The clamav-milter code is scattered liberally with cli_*msg lines, which
do all of this.  I am slowly working through a patch set for output
unification that basically dumps all of the work on the logg() function
in shared/output.c  It will be up to logg() to decide whether a message
should go to syslog, the console, a seperate logfile, or some
combination, depending on variables set in the calling program.

As you can imagine, this is not a small patch set, so it is taking some
time.  Then of course there is the uncertainty of whether or not the
Team members will want the patch, but it seems like something that needs
to be done.  I administer all of my systems that run the milter
headless, and I never see the messages you are mentioning, but this is
reminding me that I am probably missing important information because
it's not going to logs that then get parsed and mailed to me.

To avoid any duplication of effort, I'd like to encourage anyone looking at a logging code-cleanup to work with Stephen Gran on this. I've discussed it with him off-list, and think he's got a really good approach to the issue. I'm (very) eagerly awaiting the completion of his patch and its inclusion in the main tree.

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-