Dawson wrote:

| My problem is probably very simple for all the
| experts out there but has stumped me....
|
| my freshclam.og is in /var/log
|
| I set the ownership to clamav
|
| It gets reset to root and then prevents the
| program from running.  You can see what happens:
|
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] public_html]# freshclam
| ERROR: Can't open /var/log/freshclam.log in append mode (check
| permissions!).
| ERROR: Problem with internal logger.
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] public_html]# ls -la /var/log/freshclam.log
| -rw-------  1 root root 2528 Jul 25 12:51 /var/log/freshclam.log
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] public_html]# chown clamav.clamav /var/log/freshclam.log
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] public_html]# freshclam
| ClamAV update process started at Fri Jul 29 11:39:35 2005
| WARNING: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!
| WARNING: Local version: 0.86.1 Recommended version: 0.86.2
| DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html
| main.cvd is up to date (version: 33, sigs: 36102, f-level: 5,
| builder: tkojm)
| Downloading daily.cvd [*]
| daily.cvd updated (version: 997, sigs: 1055, f-level: 5, builder:
| arnaud)
| Database updated (37157 signatures) from db.us.clamav.net (IP:
| 38.136.139.7)
|
| How can I fix this?
| http://lurker.clamav.net/list/clamav-users.html

Are you using an RPM to update clamav?
Does clamd run as root (for samba-vscan module)?
Did you recently update to clamav 0.86.1, and not checked your logfiles?

Sorry for all the questions; but, clamav has evolved over the past few
versions where the permissions of the logfiles / directories / etc has
changed.  And many of them can cause problems if the RPMs have not
been setup to handle the change properly.  One version I packaged, did
that on me and I quickly got a new one out.  Since I've even changed
the spec file a bit to handle my special case of needing to run clamd
as root...  and keep everything else running as clamav user for
database updates and such.

I've now gotten in the habit of checking these things more now....

James