----------
> There are several options in clamd.conf that are related to email scanning:
> ScanMail, ScanHTML, etc. which are enabled by default.
>
> As for clamav-milter I have not used it, but it seems that it is not
> what you are looking for ....
>
> On a mail server, you would typically check incoming mails before
> delivering to the user accounts, through procmail, etc.

Hopefully not. Hopefully your mail server will examine the message while you
still have the sending system on line and if your system detects a virus it
will reject the message and leave it to the sending system to create the
bounce. On way to achieve this if your MTA is Sendmail (tm) is to use a milter
such as ClamAv's clamav-milter. I use J-Chkmail for my AV milter as it is also
a very effective anti-spam filter and does not require Perl.

dp

I prefer to use clamsmtp(http://memberwebs.com/nielsen/software/clamsmtp/)
which sits in front of my real smtp server as a proxy. When the data section of
the message is sent, clamsmtp intercepts the data and scans it with clamav.
This also might be easier if you aren't using a very popular email server(like
me!) or want to make minimal changes to your existing setup. I have had very
good luck with this software on my incoming smtp server and internal submission
smtp server.

--Bill