On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:27:18 -0500 in
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Dale Blount
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Every few months or so when a new clamav comes out, I go to update all
> of my servers to the latest version.  The last few updates have caused
> me a little grief because on restarting of clamd/freshclam, it reports
> that freshclam wasn't running.  This time I remembered to check before
> upgrading.  This is on one host (of about 10) running Linux 2.6 and
> 0.87.  Most upgrades anywhere from 2-4 of the 10 hosts have a dead
> freshclam.
>
> Logs are rotated daily, and freshclam.log.4 only contains:
> ClamAV update process started at Sat Nov 12 00:02:02 2005
>

> Here are the dates on the db files:
> -rw-r--r--  1 clamav clamav  169270 2005-11-11
> 18:02 /var/lib/clamav/daily.cvd
> -rw-r--r--  1 clamav clamav 2560365 2005-09-16
> 11:34 /var/lib/clamav/main.cvd
>

> There are no other logs that I can find about this.  Nothing in dmesg
> about OOM killer or anything killing freshclam.
>
> Freshclam is started like this:
> /usr/bin/freshclam -p /var/run/clamav/freshclam.pid -d
>

> I've tried to uncomment Foreground and run it in a terminal which
> worked successfully for 3 weeks on all the servers before I had to
> disconnect the terminals.
>
> It also doesn't seem to be a particular one server that always dies,
> it's even died on a server that does <10 mails per day.
>
> Please let me know if you need any more information in tracking this
> down.

Which distro are you running? A long time ago I had problems with
freshclam being unable to resolve any servers to get updates from. It
turned out that nscd was running on my RH9 box and for some reason it
caused strange DNS quirks in my configuration (I used BIND etc).

No other clues really.....

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk