On Thursday 22 Dec 2005 14:14, Dennis Skinner wrote:
> C. Andrews Lavarre wrote:
> > thanks, now I know why freshclam runs.
> >

> > I don't mind it running, I just mind it complaining about an old
> > version when I know I've installed the new version.
>
> You want it running.  Either that or make cron run it (non-daemonized)
> every hour or so.  Otherwise you won't get new virus sigs.  Having it
> running is a good thing.  I think the prev poster may have been thinking
> that an old version may still have been running in memory even though
> you updated.

Correct. ;-)

A common problem reported on this mailinglist occurs when someone installs
from an rpm or whatever, finds in due course that they are out of date and
the new rpm is not immediately forthcoming, so they have a go and install
from source, which installs itself in /usr/local/* leaving the existing
version running under /usr/*. Ugh. Then a chase around to find the old one
and remove it, but not killing it in the process, which stops the new version
from operating correctly.
The cure for this confounding situation is to use the right tools:
man ps
man netstat
man kill
man rpm
man freshclam.conf
man clamd.conf
etcetc

Installing Clamav from source is very easy, the only complication I have run
across is a need for the errno patch with later versions of gcc.

HTH
--
Bob Hutchinson