On Jan 6, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

Dennis Peterson wrote:
Randal, Phil said:
[ ... ]
I have.  It's very useful when a new virus variant arrives and is
detected by only one of our three virus scanners (or is blocked by
filetype alone). If it is quarantined I can pull out the quarantined copy and submit it to virusscan.jotti.org, www.virustotal.com, and the
Antivirus vendors.
I guess I don't understand the need to submit a detected and quarantined
virus to anti-virus vendors.

In other words, you quarantine anything which contains an attachment which ends in .exe, .com, .pif, and so forth. I require my users to zip or tarball attachments before they send them. Doing so will catch many new viruses before the AV people have pushed out updated definitions.

sure, because .zip files never contain viruses. Not sure what a better solution is. Frankly, most of my clients are seeing spyware as a worse threat than day zero viruses. IE just seems to seek them out :)

More specificly, I've found viral messages in the quarantine which were not recognized by ClamAV when the email went by, although a day or two later they generally will be.

--
-Chuck